My experience includes all aspects of criminal defence, from bail hearings to appeals. I have successfully defended cases of sexual assault, drug trafficking, weapons charges, impaired driving, conspiracy, and fraud.
First and foremost, my goal is to keep you out of jail, or, if you are in custody, to secure your release on bail as soon as possible. When you are arrested and then prosecuted, the state has vast resources at its disposal to take away your freedom. I work hard to tip the scales of justice in your favour.
In each case I seek to:
- negotiate early with Crown Attorneys to either withdraw all or some of the charges
- thoroughly review disclosure and gather information from potential witnesses
- provide clients with a realistic, objective, and critical perspective on the evidence and what will likely occur should cases go to trial
- craft sentencing proposals that fairly address each client's particular problems, including substance abuse and mental health concerns
- advise clients about long-term prospects for parole and how to approach a federal prison sentence